What are the benefits over an evening class if any? If you have ever thought about starting an early morning practice, whether it’s at a class or at home? Read on and get inspired!
- Traditionally Yoga is practiced at sunrise, Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutations, celebrate the rising sun and the dawn of a new day. This practice is the perfect way to celebrate nature in all it’s glory (even if you can’t see the the sun from your living room!) you don’t have to be outside, just tuning into the rhythm of nature is a great way to disconnect from the digital age we live in and remind us who we really are.
- I often mention in my morning class that we feel tighter when we get up than we do at the end of the day after we’ve spent hours moving, this is not a reason to avoid practice, all the more reason to step on the mat first thing! When we wake up our natural instinct is to stretch to release the tension that has built up overnight, when we don’t stretch in the morning this tension builds up causing tight muscles and those well known aches and pains.
- Have you noticed that whatever time you practice you feel energised after? Yoga is a natural way to boost your energy, the solar plexus (Manipura) chakra can be thought of as your personal battery, when this energy centre is blocked we can feel low on energy and fatigued. Twisting poses fire up the energy in this Manipura so you might not need that extra shot in your coffee!
- Yoga (and again twisting poses in particular) increases circulation to the internal organs and boosts the digestive system, when we practice in the morning we fire up our digestion, making it more efficient at metabolising food and releasing toxins, that doesn’t mean you can have an extra biscuit at elevensies though! A healthy and fired up digestive system absorbs vitamins and minerals more efficiently so have an apple… With your biscuit!
- Practicing in the morning can make us less stressed for the whole day. Our stress hormone is naturally high in the morning to help us to ‘get going’, if straight away we add more stress we end up with one very stressful day! You will probably have heard teachers say Yoga switches off the fight or flight response, the cause of stress, do this first thing and you are in for a much more relaxed and happy day!
- Clear the mental clutter. Before our days have barely started, most of us are already in our ‘to do’ list, early morning practice gives us a great opportunity to clear the mind so we start the day with more clarity, this mental space also means we can function more productively and efficiently.
- Feel good! If you have ever practiced Yoga you know it has the power to just make you feel good, imagine how great it would be to carry that feeling with you all day long, happy days!
Feeling tempted yet? In Wimbledon Tegen will be teaching Tuesdays at 7am and Lisa Thursdays same time, so you can really build an early morning practice into your weekly routine. Alternatively, put your mat out on the way to bed, maybe even next to your bed! So you can roll straight onto the mat take a few breaths and do a few Sun Salutations for a fantastic start to your day!